The Form Designer has 2 panels:
- Question types: This is the left box. Different question types are suited to different kinds of information. Picking the right question type helps you to collect information efficiently, and analyse it easily.
- Form builder: This is the colourful box on the right. This is where you build the form.
- Name your form in the top box. This name is used in the button on the front page of the mobile app so users can select the form. It does not appear anywhere in the form itself.
- Drag and drop questions from the question type panel to the Form builder to add new questions to the form.
- Enter details about the question. These details vary depending on the question type. You must make changes first in the English tab as this is the default language, before adding changes to other languages.
- Save changes to each question as you go.
- A green pop up box shows when saved.
- Any problems highlighted in red must be resolved before saving.
- Change the question order by dragging the hamburger icon (3 horizontal lines).
Viewing forms in the mobile app
Whilst editing, you may need to refresh the mobile app to see changes immediately. In normal use manual refresh is not needed.
- Open the mobile app.
- Click Settings, the top right cog icon.
- Click Refresh forms.
- View any changes that you have made.
Choosing question types
Question types include the following:
- Title: Bold text that can be used to add a title or give instructions
- Text input: Allows the reporter to write anything in the box – text, numbers..
- Photos: Take up to 3 photos using the camera in the mobile device. You may be able to add photos taken earlier and stored in your photo library.
- Dropdown: Select one option from a range of suggestions.
- Checkbox: Select one or more options from a range of suggestions.
- Yes/no: The default position is No. If the answer is Yes, click the switch to green (Apple) or select the tick box (Android). This question allows logic, where additional questions reveal on answering ‘Yes’. See below.
- Signature: The reporter can sign in a box using their finger. Make the box bigger by changing the phone to landscape (horizontal). The signature is stored as a pdf file.
- GPS Co-ordinates: Phone location data is collected, but no question appears in the mobile form.
Adding details about a question
Depending on the question type, you will be asked to complete the following:
- Text of question: This question wording appears in the mobile app.
- Placeholder: This text is greyed out for the reporter to type over. It helps show what answer is required.
- Help text: Reveals supporting text when the reporter presses the i icon in the mobile app, providing:
- Requires answer box: If this box is ticked in the Form builder, an astrix appears by the question in the mobile form. The report will not send unless this question is completed.
- Confidential data: Information such as names can be encrypted. They will only be able to be read by people with the correct permission (set in the admin tab). Other people will see a row of stars. It will not be possible to use results from encrypted questions in filters or dashboard graphs. You should not make a confidential question into the summary field.
- Allow photos from user library is a tick box option. Depending on photo subject, you may not wish to encourage people to store photos in their phone where data is less secure. Pictures taken using the mobile app can only be viewed by people with Viewing and Actions permission.
- Hidden questions: If the reporter answers Yes to this question, more questions may appear. The number of hidden questions is written in the Question box for a yes/no question.
- Dropdown and check box possible values: Provide a range of options for the reporter to select from. Click + to add another option and – to remove an option. It can be useful to provide an Other option. All boxes should be complete when saving.
- Field name: The answer to a question is stored in a field. Each field has a field-name that describes the information it stores. For example, every time a reporter answers the question ‘Where is the injury?’, the answers are stored in field-name ‘body part’. A specific field name can only be used once in each form. Fields are used for filtering and analysis.
- Summary: When the field name is Summary, the answer to this question appears in the Report list in the Report tab and in email notifications. It is recommended that each form has a Summary field. This must not be an encrypted question.
Changing a field name
As the field-name is used for analysis rather than the question itself, you can make changes to the text of the question and not disrupt the stored data. However, if you change a field-name, any new data will be stored under the new name and hence in a different place. Answers to the question will be split across 2 field-names and hence change the analysis.
Try not to change a field-name. If you have to, then note the date to help interpret your data.
The following field-name changes do not impact on data analysis:
- before data has been collected for that form (ie when first designing the form)
English is the default language and all forms must be fully completed in English before adding an additional language.
- Enable languages in the App Design > Forms page to make language tabs appear at the top of the coloured Form builder.
- Select the form you wish to edit. You will see language tabs at the top of the coloured panel, and at the top of each question edit panel. If you can not see language tabs, go back to stage 1 to enable the language.
- Click on En to make the first changes in English.
- Click on a language tab and manually enter a translation for each question.
- Field names are constant, they do not change as the form language changes.
- Save questions as you edit them.
- Check if a translation is complete. If incomplete, the language tab is red, questions are highlighted red and the default language, English, shows in the mobile app.
Customise forms with the drag and drop system
Watch a video
Customise forms with the drag and drop system
To customise a form, either click ‘add form’ or click on an existing form in the App Design > Forms page. Click on a question in the Question type list on the left side, and drag it to the App builder on the right.
How will they look in the Mobile App?